In Reply to: Gerber File posted by John on 02/27/01 at 6:56 AM:
I have found that this works with most gerber file formats.
Gerber to Protel conversion.
Sample of Lavenir Gerber File
To Convert this to a gerber format that protel will recognise a D1 mus be placed next to each * where the * appears after a co-ordinate reference and there is not already a D1,D2 or D3.
1. Open the gerber file in Wordpad.
2. Search and replace all * with D1*.
3. Search and replace all D1D1* with D1*.
4. Search and replace all D2D1* with D2*.
5. Search and replace all D3D1* with D3*.
6. Search for all D-code identifiers (ie. D10, D11 etc. ) and remove the D1 that directly follows them.
7. Repeat the process for all required gerber layers.
*NB Unless there are some special features in the soldermasks it is not necessary to convert them as Protel will generate its own masks.
Importing into Protel.
1. Open a blank PCB file in Protel.
2. Select File/Import/Gerber Batch and select one of the modified gerber layers when prompted.
3. Save the PCB file.