Mixed Signal Design Manager
Main Functional Role & Responsibilities
A hands-on role in mixed signal design, managing a small team of up to
The primary focus for the group will be baseband mixed signal IP,
initially for mobile communications.
The group will interface very closely to the Hardware, Software and
Systems teams to provide leading edge IP solutions for the next
generation of mobile communications chip-sets.
Requires 7 years plus in a mixed signal/Analogue CMOS IC design
environment, preferably gained in the development of mobile/data
The experience should encompass all aspects of a typical mixed signal
IC development life cycle from initial specifications through to device
characterisation and final production.
1. CMOS analogue IC design.
1. Design of basic analogue circuit blocks.
1. Opamps - single ended miller, folded cascode
A through understanding of basic single ended miller
compensated opamp design.
2. Differential Opamps
Design of fully differential opamps.
High speed comparator design techniques.
4. PLL and oscillators - high speed PLL design techniques.
5. Voltage and current references.
Basic voltage reference design including bandgap references.
2. Design of Analogue to Digital and Digital to Analogue
1. A good understanding of data converter design based on
oversampled noise shaped techniques using switched
capacitor sampled data techniques.
2. A good understanding of general Nyquist-rate data
conversion techniques and performance tradeoffs.
These should include common techniques such as:
Flash,SAR, R2R ladder, Switched current etc
3. Design of switched capacitor and Gm-C filters
1. A general appreciation of design techniques and tools
for designing and implementing on-chip filters.
1. Layout and verification of analogue cells.
1. Experience of DRC and LVS.
1. Design for test of analogue circuits.
2. Experience of breadboarding and debug of final
3. Experience of specifying analogue test for ATE
1. A good overview of general digital test
methodologies and techniques.
1. Digital signal processing
1. Specification and design of digital filters for data
1. Encompassing at least, Sinc decimators for sigma delta
converters, gausian and raised cosine (root raised
cosine) matched filters. Use of Matlab or similar
2. Appreciation of general digital modulation/demodulation
1. FSK, GFSK, GMSK, M-PSK.
2. General Team Leadership/Management
Requires good leadership and motivational qualities gained in an
existing team leader/management role.
1. Digital design
1. RTL coding VHDL/Verilog.
2. Synthesis and test
2. Chip level integration and verification using verilog behavioral
models for analog component.
3. Interfacing to independent foundries.(TSMC, UMC …)
4. Experience of the Cadence Analog Artist design environment.
1. Spectre/HSPICE - analog circuit simulation
2. Spectre/verilog - mixed mode simulation
3. Virtuoso - cell level editor
4. Dracula DRC and LVS.
B.Eng., B.Sc. or higher in Electronics, Mathematics or Computing