Chief Systems Engineer
Role and responsibilities
A hands-on role in taking the lead in defining the systems requirement
specifications for the wireless technology developed by Company Technologies
The primary focus for the systems team will be specification of major
subsystems and it's subsequent validation in a systems context, working very
closely with the Hardware and software team to ensure that an adequate
demonstration of the subsystem in it's intended application.
The systems team will also interface very closely to the RF and Mixed Signal
teams to provide leading edge cost effective IP solutions for the next
generation of mobile communications chip-sets.
Requires 7 years plus in wireless communication systems, preferably gained
in the development of mobile/data communications products, preferably
The experience should encompass all aspects of systems engineering
development life cycle from initial specifications through to final
1. Communications Systems
1. A good understanding of embedded microprocessor based
architectures and interfacing to external peripherals.
2. Low Power design techniques suitable for integration.
3. Area, power and cost tradeoff's. It is important that the
solutions that are implemented are cost effective in high
volume consumer market applications and the potential
candidate is able to demonstrate good overall knowledge of
4. Show good knowledge of current trends and state of the art.
5. A good understanding of RF and baseband architecture and
trends for current systems and next generation proposals.
2. RF systems design
1. A good overview RF front-end systems requirement.
3. Systems test
1. Specify/define representative tests for the hardware/software
4. Embedded software
1. A good understanding of general embedded software
applications and the MIPS/area tradeoff analysis.
1. System Simulation
1. Experience of a high level dataflow/stream driven simulation to
simulate/verify system level tradeoffs. Potential tools include
Cossap and SPW.
2. Team Leadership
1. It is expected that the chief systems engineer will be responsible
o 1 RF Principal/Senior systems engineer.
o 1 DSP Systems Engineer
o 1 Baseband digital systems
The candidate should to be able to mentor, motivate, plan and
schedule the work related to the systems team.
The systems team will work very closely with the marketing team and end
users to supply leading edge solutions.
1. Customer facing
1. Good presentation skills and appearance.
Must be able to express ideas and concepts clearly and convincingly.
3. Future trends
1. Possess a genuine interest in wireless technology and track future
1. Experience gained as part of an IC development.
2. Knowledge of current design tools and methodologies applicable to
System on chip.
3. Interfacing to customers in a marketing/applications role.
B.Eng., B.Sc. or higher in Electronics, Mathematics or Computing related