In Reply to: NDT & Welding Inspector Vacancies posted by Dave Wilkes on 11/14/00 at 5:16 AM:
Name : N. Durai Raj
Date of Birth : 10th January 1957
Nationality : Indian
Permanent Address : Sakthi Bhavan, TC 40/1469(1), MSNNRA 29, Manacaud, Trivandrum, Kerala, India.
Phone: 0091 471 463 941 / 450 627
Present Address : P. O. Box - 2145, Sharjah, UAE
Phone: 06 - 5511 750 / 050 - 6464 481
Educational : B. Sc. (Physics)
Technical : Internal Quality Auditor, ISO 9000:1994
Quality Management Systems (QMS)
Thro' Bureau Veritas Quality International (BVQI)
Certified by IRCA, United Kingdom
Lead Auditor, ISO 14001:1996
Environmental Management Systems (EMS)
Thro' Lloyd's Register Quality Assurance (LRQA)
Certified by IRCA, United Kingdom
Certified Welding Inspector
By American Welding Society (AWS - CWI)
ASNT Level II in
· Radiographic Testing
· Ultrasonic Testing
· Magnetic Particle Testing
· Liquid Penetrant Testing
· Visual Testing
Ø Approval from Dubai Municipality to carry out test witnessing for Pressure Vessels and containers in 1995
Ø Approval from McDermott Dubai for conducting UT on Offshore/Onshore Structures in 1992.
Ø Approval from ABS Europe for doing Ultrasonic and Magnetic Particle Inspection of Shafts repairs in 1992
Ø Qualified in Ultrasonic Testing of Nuclear welds by DGS methods for Nuclear Power Corporation at BHEL, Trichy in 1991.
Ø Qualified in Ultrasonic Testing of Offshore Structural welds (Both TKY Joints and Butt welds) by Engineers India Limited & ABS Surveyors at Mazagon Docks Limited, Mangalore in 1986.
Ø Qualified as Radiography Site In Charge through Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (Dept. of Atomic Energy) in 1979.
Summary of Work Experience
Total of 24 years experience in Inspection, Quality Control and Non Destructive Testing of Pressure Vessels, Heat Exchangers, Piping and Structures for Petrochemical Plants, Power Plants, Rigs, Ships and Storage Tanks.
In Radiography, experience in X ray and Gamma radiography (X ray machine and various Isotopes like Co60, Ir192, Crawler) Interpretation of radiographs of weldments, castings against the code/standard/specification. Enforcing radiation safety at radiographic sites, training radiographers for safe handling of radioisotopes as well as radiographic techniques.
Ultrasonic examination of raw materials, both cladded and non cladded plates, welds of various configuration like 'T', 'K', 'Y', butt joints, T connectors, full penetration joints, white metal bond testing, corrosion mapping, thickness survey of pressure vessels, piping against various codes.
Magnetic Particle Testing by using Prod, Magnetic Yoke (various volts and currents), coils and permanent yoke with dry, wet fluorescent and non-fluorescent methods, demagnetization techniques.
Dye Penetrant testing of weldments by using solvent removable, water washable methods with fluorescent and non-fluorescent methods.
Carried out visual inspection of weldments during fabrication, shut down, witness Hydro test, Pneumatic Test, Welders' Qualification Test, Procedure Qualification Tests, Vacuum Box Testing, Boroscope Inspection, Hardness Testing.
Writing WPS per requirements of AWS D1.1, ASME Sec IX, API 1104, BS etc, witnessing Procedure Qualification, welding Inspection, Welder Qualification etc.
Evaluating tender documents for quotation, manpower planning and meeting clients.
Project planning, allocation and execution for Non Destructive Testing and Heat Treatment works.
· Radiation safety and Industrial Radiography, one month course at Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Bombay (November 1979 - December 1979)
· Level I and Level II NDT programs for various methods like radiography, ultrasonic, magnetic particle and dye penetrant testing.
· Training program on welding inspection.
· Training program on Internal Quality Auditing.
· Training Program on Environmental Management Systems.
Period : April 1999 to February 2001
Employer : Quality Inspection & Survey Services, Sharjah
Position : Operations Manager
· Launching the company in the UAE market for the Non Destructive Testing and Heat Treatment works.
· Calls on management representation such as engineers, architects or other professional and technical personnel at commercial, industrial and other establishments and attempts to convince prospective client of desirability and practicability of services offered.
· Reviews blueprints, plans and other customer documents to develop and prepare cost estimates or projected increases in production from clients' use of proposed services.
· Draws up or proposes changes in equipment, processes or use of materials or services which result in cost reduction or improvement in operations.
· Provides technical services to clients relating to use, operations and maintenance of equipment.
· Plans NDT operations, establishing priorities and sequences of testing.
· Reviews production and operating reports and resolves operational, manufacturing and maintenance problems to ensure minimum costs and prevent operational delays.
· To association with clients, suppliers and management on a regular basis to ensure smooth functioning of the organization.
· Draws up sales or service contract for products or services.
· Reviews test orders to determine type of test requested, test procedures to follow and part acceptability criteria.
· Establishing many techniques and procedures in accordance with International codes and customers' requirements.
· Liaison with clients to facilitate maintenance of existing relationships and to foster further business development.
· Evaluates test results against designated standards.
· Preparation and submission of Quotations for all NDT & HT works.
Major Project Achievements
Abu Dhabi Trade Centre, Abu Dhabi. CBSC Six Construct JV
Al Nahda Shopping Mall, Sharjah ALICO, MERO Middle East
Al Zora Dry Dock, Ajman. Arab Heavy Industries
American Community School, Abu Dhabi. Al Hamad Contracting Co.
Dusit Tower, Dubai. Al Habtoor Engineering
ENOC Processing Ltd., Jebel Ali MIS, Sharjah
EPCL Effluent Treatment Tank, Jebel Ali. Cylingas LLC
EPPCO Genoa Project, Jebel Ali. Albanna Engineering
EPPCO Monza Systems, Jebel Ali. McConnell Dowell ME
Etisalat Call Centre, Ajman. Aseel Constructions
Kuwait Cement Company Structures Fabtech International
PROSERNAT Skids MIS, Sharjah
Ras Al Khaimah Cement Co, UniMarine Tech Services
Rig "Foresight Drilling" FD V Leg Repairs Lamprell Sharjah
Previous Employment History
Period : February 1998 to March 1999
Employer : Lonestar Technical Services, Dubai.
Position held : NDT Co ordinator
· To perform duties and jobs related to the advancement of the company as assigned by the management from time to time.
· Day to day operational co-ordination of all activities.
· Ensuring high operational standards and the safe working of all personnel.
· Co-ordination and supervision of all NDT & HT works.
· Calibrates test equipment, which is used for Magnetic Particle Testing and Ultrasonic Testing to standard settings.
· Evaluates test results against designated standards. Prepares reports outlining findings and conclusions.
Period : February 1997 to February 1998
Employer : McConnell Dowell Middle East LLC, Dubai.
Position held : QA/QC Inspector
Projects Involved : 10" Ø EPPCO Jet A1 Fuel Pipeline from Jebel Ali to Dubai International Airport, Dubai.
10" Ø High Pressure Sales Gas Pipeline from RAKGAS to Cement Factories, Ras Al Khaimah.
8" Ø Shell Markets Jet Fuel Pipeline from Satwa to Dubai International Airport, Dubai.
· Developing a Quality System and setting up of an Audit Program carrying out and reporting Internal Audits to meet ISO 9000 standards.
· Follow up a corrective action to improve the Quality system.
· Preparation of Quality Control Procedures and Co-ordination with the Third Party Inspectors and the clients.
· Preparation of WPS, PQR as per the requirement.
· Welders Qualification Test, Welding Inspection and NDT controlling.
· Control of welders' performance in production welding, welding supervision.
· Liaison with external inspection agencies for NDT works at site.
· Responsible for the QA/QC aspects of the Project includes material identification, welding, painting records, holiday testing, lowering, back filling, cleaning, gauging and hydro test.
· Documentation of QA/QC records, Inspection reports package.
Period : November 1993 to September 1996
Employer : Société Générale de Surveillance S.A., Dubai.
Position held : NDT Operations Co-ordinator
· Have been imparting training to the NDT Trainees and occasionally checking their performance for further recommending them to higher training.
· Conducting toolbox meeting to ensure safety measures are followed strictly.
· Selection of staff, in liaison with the managers and the Regional Level III, of the correct caliber and work experience to fulfill the assigned duties.
· Controlling stocks of consumable and preparation of monthly report to line management in the required format.
Period : March 1992 to October 1993
Employer : Société Générale de Surveillance S.A., Dubai.
Position held : Multi-Disciplined NDT Inspector
· Thoroughly involved in UT, RT, MT, PT Techniques, interpretation and evaluation of Non Destructive examining result in accordance with the codes like ASME, ASTM, AWS, API etc for various clients like MIS - Sharjah, Lamprell - Sharjah, McDermott - Jebel Ali, Siemens - Jebel Ali, Belleli Saudi Heavy Industries - Jebel Ali, Weir Westgarth - Jebel Ali, Contech Engg - Jebel Ali, Al Nasr Technical Trading - Jebel Ali, Aswan International - Dubai, Goltens - Dubai, GMMOS - Dubai, Halliburton Reservoir Services - Dubai, Dodsal - Dubai etc on a call out basis.
· In addition to the above, the duties also involved performing Holiday Detection Testing of pipes, witnessing of Vacuum Box Testing of welds, witnessing of Pressure Test of vessels, witnessing of Welders' Qualification Test, carrying out the thickness measurement works on the vessels, hardness testing of the materials for various clients.
· Ultrasonic, Magnetic Particle Testing of Offshore Jacket works for various projects at NPCC - Abu Dhabi, Noell Imac - Abu Dhabi.
Employment Details in India
Period : September 1978 to February 1992.
Employer : Escon Technical Services Ltd., Coimbatore.
Position held : Multi-Disciplined NDT Inspector.
· Involved in various methods of Non Destructive Testing of Pressure Vessels, LPG Sphere, Storage Tanks, Pipeline, Piping and Castings for the following clients.
Jun 1991 to Feb 1992 : Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd., Trichy.
Feb 1991 to May 1991 : Bhageeratha Engineers Limited, Cochin.
Dec 1990 to Jan 1991 : Mazagon Dock Limited, Bombay
Sep 1990 to Nov 1990 : IOCL LPG Bottling Plant, Calcutta.
Sep 1985 to Aug 1990 : Mazagon Dock Limited, Mangalore.
Jun 1985 to Aug 1985 : Jaya Boilers, Coimbatore.
Feb 1984 to Jun 1985 : Cochin Refineries Limited, Cochin.
Sep 1983 to Jan 1984 : Salal hydropower Project, Jammu& Kashmir.
Jul 1983 to Aug 1983 : Bharat Petroleum Corp. Ltd., Coimbatore.
May 1983 to Jun 1983 : Sirpur Paper Mills, Andhra Pradesh.
Feb 1983 to Apr 1983 : National Thermal Power Corp., Korba, M. P.
Jan 1981 to Jan 1983 : Canyan Hydro Power Project, Sri Lanka.
Aug 1980 to Dec 1980 : Kalpakkam Atomic Power Plant, Madras.
Mar 1980 to Jul 1980 : Ashuganj Fertilizers & Chemicals Ltd., Bangladesh.
Sep 1978 to Feb 1980 : Vijay Tanks & Vessels Pvt. Ltd. Bombay.
UT Krautkramer USM 25 DAC, USN 50, USK-6, USK-7, USL-32,
Gilardonic, Epoch II, ESM-2M, D-Meters
MT Electromagnetic Yoke, Permanent Magnet, Prods, Coil
RT X-Ray (Andrex, Philips, JME)
Gamma ray (Ir192, Co60, Crawler)
Boroscope, Weld Gauge, Holiday Detector, Ferritescope
Hardness Tester - Equotip, Krautkramer Dynamic
Codes and Standards
Familiarity with the following codes
· ASME V, VIII, IX, B31.1, B31.3,
· API 1104, API RP 2X, API 650
· AWS D 1.1
· BS Standards
· ISO Standards
· DIN Standards
· MIL Standards
Computer Packages Known : Office 97
Driving Licence : Valid UAE Driving Licence
Awards : Best Management Representative award from SGS, Dubai for the outstanding performance.