| Home | Terms of Use | Site Map | Contact Us |
IndustryCommunity.com > Electrical and Electronic Community > Technical Forum > Message
Main Menu

[ List Subjects ][ Post Message ]
[ View Followups ][ Post Followup ]

Subject: Re: ckoke coil

Date: 06/22/02 at 12:48 PM
Posted by: John Dunn - Consultant
E-mail: ambertec@ieee.org
Message Posted:

In Reply to: ckoke coil posted by Aniko on 06/11/02 at 8:08 PM:

The term "choke" refers to an inductor. The term derives from the somewhat colorful metaphor of a device that tends to "choke off" a flow of current.

There are different types. A pi-wound inductor of say, 1 mHy would be called an "RF choke".

A fairly heavy, iron core inductor used in a power supply filter of perhaps several Hy would be called a "filter choke".

Some such power inductors are actually designed to have an inductance that varies inversely to the DC current flow which is an effect that can aid in load regulation properties. Those devices are actually called "swinging chokes" because their inducances "swing" up and down in response to changes of load current.

(There is of course, the ancient joke that a swinging choke is a hangman's noose, but we won't think too long about that one.)

John Dunn

Follow Ups:

Post a Follow-up:


Message to Post:


1999-2001 Sunlit Technology Co., Ltd. All rights reserved.